The Cueing to Music course takes place over two days, Level 1 and Level 2. You may choose to attend either or both courses, please contact us if you are unsure which level is appropriate for you.
Course times and location
Level 1: Monday 16th March 2020, 9.30am – 4.30pm
Level 2: Monday 30th March 2020, 9.30am – 4.30pm
The Albany, Deptford, London SE8 4AG
Cueing to Music Level 1
To enable a potential DSM or Showcaller, one without musical knowledge, to Q from musical scores and thus feel confident enough to undertake such work with opera, musical and ballet companies.
- To examine the basic elements of musical notation and the function of piano reductions in relation to the rehearsal process.
- To understand how singers, as opposed to actors, impact on the role of a DSM/Showcaller
- To undertake Qing exercises numerous and complex enough to instil confidence.
- To simulate a music test at opera company level
Session 1: The Building Blocks
- Music, Sound and Pitch
- First Cueing Test
Session 2: Wider still and wider…
- The Orchestra
Session 3: Second Cueing Test
Session 4: ‘I See a Voice’… adding the singer to the picture
Session 5: Major Challenges
Session 6: Simulated opera company music test in real time
Session 7: Summary
Cueing to Music Level 2
To enable a potential DSM or Showcaller, one with basic musical knowledge and understanding, to cue from complex and problematic music scores with confidence.
- To reinforce understanding of musical counting and notation.
- To practice cueing from music with unusual time signatures.
- To simulate performance issues with a mixture of Musical Qs, visual Qs and clearances.
- To simulate a demanding music test at opera company level
Session 1 Qing at a Standard
Session 2 Qing at speed
Session 3 Simulating a demanding opera company music test in real time
Session 4 Where’s the Beat? Cueing from unusual and/or irregular rhythms
Session 5 Impossible Music
Session 6 Higher Stakes When you have to look away from the music…
Session 7 The Battle of Borodino
Low member rates held for the second year!
The rate for EACH course is:
SMA Members only Early Bird £115 – pay before 6th March 2020! (20th March 2020 for Level 2)
SMA Members Standard £130
Non-SMA Members £150
The discounted rate for booking BOTH Level 1 and Level 2 courses together is (5% additional discount):
SMA Members only Early Bird £218.50 – pay before 6th March 2020!
SMA Members Standard £247.00
Non-SMA Members £290.00
Reserve your place
Contact the SMA Office for your booking form, the please then email the completed booking form back to the SMA Office and you will be sent an invoice.